About My Blog

I created this blog to help share ABBA information with other fans and to show off my new collection items :)


Please note: Collection item photos are from my own personal collection. These are not stock photos. If you wish to use any of my photos elsewhere, please have the courtesy to ask first - Thank you :)

Monday 22 April 2013

Agnetha Faltskog 'A' - Full Album Review

A fabulous review of Agnetha's new album by Gunnar Moe:

This is ”A”

The essence of the album – if you ask me; Why is love so hard to understand!

Things suddenly came flying my surprised way and I’ve had the wonderful privilege to listen to Agnetha Fältskogs totally faaaaabulous album “A”. I can tell that for all of us this will be the very pop-album of 2013 (and Agnethas best since ABBA if you ask me!)! Musically “A” has no surprises but presents our dear star back where she belongs; in pure pop-heaven for real songs – produced as we loved them in the seventies! And yes – it’s 2013 and this sounds so fresh and 2013 even if it sounds yesterday so to say!

“The One Who Loves You Now” – We do know this single! It’s absolutely brilliant!
“When You Really Loved Someone” – The first worldwide single – totally wonderfull!

Then… the rest of “A”….

“Perfume In The Breeze”: A mid-tempo pop-song theme love (of course) with a light breeze all over. Agnethas vocal is light and easy. When she starts singing you feel a split second that she is revisiting “I won’t be leaving you”. A song for sunny summerdays with cute whistling, harmonies and very recognisable Agnetha.

“I Was A Flower”: The first of the albums two fabulous drama-ballads! This one really grows on you. The mature Agnetha does this one just beautifully. “I was a flower – now look what you have done….” This will be a favourite to many fans I guess!

“I Should’ve Followed You Home” : There is a lot of expectations to this duet with Gary Barlow. Years ago the Agnetha-duet “Fly Like The Eagle” did maybe not create pop-history! There is – sorry to say – nothing outstanding with this Barlow-duet (if you ask me) - going from ballad to nicely radiofriendly midtempo in a way one has heard endlessly. It has a strong chorus and is produced very well. There are some nice echoing backing vocals here as well (by Agnetha I guess). Even if they were not recording together, their vocals blend very well together.

“Past forever” : Back to a wonderful and strong Agnetha ballad….

“Dance Your Pain Away” : The intro makes me think on german ESC; “Djengis Khan” or violins for Earth, Wind & Fire, Boney M or Baccara… hehe! Get ready for the disco!! Very seventies but I don’t get the ABBA-references mentioned to this one. Vocally the young Agnetha was maybe more powerfull for “As Good As New” or “Lay All Your Love On Me”. At the first listen through I felt this one lacked a bit more motivated vocals… that she should have given a bit more! Now I just adore it! In the chorus she sings lines such as; “Let there be rumours / Pay no attention…” With her vocal, Agnetha is the disco-queen of coolness! I imagine a dull coctailparty from 1977 that suddenly explodes into this track. At fifth time on repeat you just beg for another gin tonic before it all starts again. It’s for sure a real fun discoparty-thingy that grows on you for every listen and a perfect choice to be played at G-A-Y on May 4th.

“Bubble” : Another wonderful ballad in recognisable Agnetha-land! :)

“Back On Your Radio” : An irresistible suggarcute chorus in almost ABBA-sound (well it lacks Frida of course). It could have been even more up-tempo, but it is something very tempting about this one. I guess fans will either find it a bit sort of childish or love it. I LOVE it…hehe! Agnetha as a flirty teaser on the radio…couldn’t be better!

“I Keep Them On The Floor Beside My Bed” – with the line; “Why is love so hard to understand”. Agnetha's composition – a big ballad….. and what a fabulous composer she once again proves to be! I cried… at second listen! The torch song of the album… enough said… and yeah well – my favourite! The song sums up everything that is Agnetha Fältskog (as we know her)! Respect and thank you so much for this one Lady A!

I simply totally LOVE these songs!

Gunnar

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree with you. I Should Have Followed You Home is a really good song, better than The One Who Loves You Now. It has a lot of potential, because of the mixture of classic lyrics with modern musical arrangement. It could be slowed down and turned into a beautiful ballad or it could easily be used in clubs, as an up-tempo. I wish they did just once an acoustic version. A live performance would be phenomenal, as usually Gary sounds much better live than on the studio recorded versions. I enjoy it quite a lot, even if it's not very original. The voices can be heard clearly and are not over-powered by music, the dialogue keeps it dynamic and layered and the song just keeps growing. I also like it because, despite being an almost 4 min. track, it seems more like a 2min one, which means it's not boring and it keeps us wanting for more. Overall, I believe it could be a hit. It's modern, with a touch of vintage. Of course the beat is something we hear over radio all the time, but the lyrics keep it from being ordinary.

    ReplyDelete