About My Blog

I created this blog to help share ABBA information with other fans and to show off my new collection items :)


Please note: Collection item photos are from my own personal collection. These are not stock photos. If you wish to use any of my photos elsewhere, please have the courtesy to ask first - Thank you :)

Thursday 26 November 2015

'The Best Of ABBA' Released In Australia - November 1975 - 40 Years Ago !



Wow, has it really been 40 years since this most iconic album was released ? How the time does fly.

Released in November 1975, this is the most successful ABBA album in Australia, with sales in excess of 1,250,000 copies !

When you consider that Australia's population at the time was a mere 14 million, that is quite phenomenal.

We were proud of the fact that '1 in ever 4 households in Australia owned an ABBA album' - and rest assured, this was the album that everyone had.

The Best Of ABBA was unique to Australia and New Zealand - with other countries releasing a variation of the 14 or 15 track Greatest Hits.

'The Best Of ABBA' entered the charts on 22 December 1975. The album was released in only 2 States at the time - with the rest of the country not getting the release until February 1976.
After slowly climbing the charts for 14 weeks, it hit the number 1 spot 15 weeks after the initial release and stayed at number 1 for 16 weeks in Australia and 18 weeks in New Zealand !

Overall, it stayed in the charts for an amazing 70 weeks (yes folks, that is more than a year).

At one stage RCA Records couldn’t keep up with the demand for the albums in the country's shops, and copies had to be pressed under licence by a rival record company.

A sentimental favourite for Australians, and probably the most recognisable album cover in this country.

Wonderful memories, playing this album over and over and over :)













4 comments:

  1. Thanks Roxanne for this nod to 'The Best of ABBA'. My first ABBA item; being in it's cassette format, I have it set in my iPod. It's just a pity that RCA did a substandard pressing for the CD they released in 1988 ( < I think that was the year), and as it was a half-hearted attempt, you wonder why they bothered, especially during a time when there was still much 'Anti-ABBAing' in Oz. Still, it's a nice keepsake.
    Cheers, Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Tony.
    This was the soundtrack to my life - and it got played so much in my house. Such a delight :)
    I agree the CD in 1988 should have been given start treatment - although I am still very happy to have it in my Australian collection :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the users from our fun and addictive App www.yanoit.com created this survey, thought you might find it interesting being an ABBA fanatic :) you can see real time results...hopefully they are favorable to you!
    ABBA bigger than The Beatles?
    http://yanoit.com/q/GbAwx0HTZf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got this Album for my birthday in 1976 and I'm glad to say I still have it, the cover is a bit worn though.
    I still play it every now and then.

    ReplyDelete